Just a little bit of history repeating
Tactical mismatches, crab-ball and an injury crisis make the opening week feel all too familiar. Are we back?
One game into the season, and everything looks all too familiar. Was it any different against Stockport than Barnsley last year? An opening-day 3-1 defeat at home, a crab-ball masterclass, and enough injuries to fill two wards at Derriford.
With Wycombe (A) up next in the league, do we need to strap in again?
I had the pleasure of enjoying the game with some of the Pilgrim’s Podcast overseas players – and had a lovely evening out in Plymouth.
It’s only one game, but there are a few nagging concerns.
Leaving the winning formula behind
First off, I think we need to appreciate that Stockport were truly excellent. The way they imposed themselves on the game tactically, to such great effect, reminded me somewhat of how we overran Cardiff last season. As such, it doesn’t immediately mean we are a chronically deficient side.
Stockport’s 3-4-3 set-up enabled them to overload our midfield (often 4v2) and pull our CBs out of position. But their wing-backs simultaneously pinned Sorinola, Harding and Hartridge back, something I find confusing in a supposed 4-4-2, which often looked more like a back five.
It’s no secret that the change in fortunes last season was down to the shift to 4-4-2. But the shift was about how we played. It concerns me that I didn’t see much of that against Stockport.
In our resurgence, we used our strong, aggressive forwards to bully defenders, and our wingers to create width, overload opponents with dangerous crosses, and create a high volume of dangerous turnovers of possession. Finally, Joe Ralls and Herbie Kane were drafted in to add finesse and control in midfield. That was all missing.
While Stockport’s set-up meant we were outnumbered in most areas of the pitch, I’m concerned that we’ve moved away from our principles. Evans playing deep, a sloppy press, and worst of all, ponderous, slow passing.
Lacking forward options – or are we?
Just as our style of play has reverted to last season’s, so has our communication.
TC has returned to his style of speaking thoughts as he thinks them – and it’s already causing trouble, with the narrative now on squad strength and a return to “where’s the money gone?” to quote the club during the Fans’ Forum.
On Monday after Exeter, TC said “conversations” would need to take place about adding forward options as we only had four players for four forward positions. By Thursday, he accepted that he was happy with the squad. Adams said in the Fans’ Forum that while the loan market was an option, players would have to leave for new faces to come in. The position seems clear.
Cleverley does have forward options at his disposal – but the current injury crisis complicates things.
Amaechi (controversially dropped against Stockport), Ibrahim, Issaka (injured), Finn, Baidoo (long-term injury), Watts (injured) and Oseni (injured) all exist to support Pepple, Evans and Curtis. That’s a long list of players. Most of these are short-term injuries, so I can’t imagine we would add another name here, on loan, without someone leaving.
So the next question becomes: is that enough?
Numerically, if everyone except Baidoo becomes fit over the next three weeks, you’d have to say yes. But do they collectively have the quality?
I’m not qualified to assert whether a professional footballer is good enough – so my angle becomes: are they trusted?
Not picking Amaechi against Stockport raises a serious question mark about whether he’s trusted or able, and about how we set up at home.
Finn and Issaka have not been trusted in the past. Watts will boost our options, and could play as a striker if needed, and the cameo by Ibrahim was really promising. The jury is out on Evans, but I feel he must play higher and threaten the back line if he’s to become effective (in addition to finishing his chances).
All I can say with certainty at this point is these players must be trusted and played – or loaned out and replacements found.
Another festival of joy at the Fans' Forum
I’ve previously been on record as saying that I think the club should communicate less (or at least in more controlled terms) – so I rolled my eyes at another Fans’ Forum bringing the pre-season optimism level down.
It was pointed out to me this weekend that the EFL mandates clubs to provide two Fans’ Forums per season. After last season, I do sympathise with the club in wanting one out of the way as early as possible.
The news wasn’t great. The club will make an £11.5m loss; the women’s team was costing £500k a year, not the insignificant £200k figure that Paul Berne mentioned six months ago, which is why they had to be sacked by email. Notably, investment discussions are continuing, when many had believed them to be dead.
So while the news is once again even bleaker than previously believed, we could still see a new era at Argyle in the near future.
Should we get new owners, I hope they can benefit (in PR terms) from our current investors' investment in Foulston Park more than Simon Hallett does now.
I do think it would be nice, at some point, to learn more about the upsides for Foulston. Everyone I’ve spoken to says it’s excellent – but all I hear about is the cost.
It’s time for the club to get me excited about Foulston Park.


